Students completing this program will have demonstrated the ability to:
- critically analyze the relationship between social inequalities and crime
- apply criminological and justice theories to specific problems of crime and justice
- construct evidence-based solutions to problems of crime and justice
- formulate appropriate research designs and analytic techniques to answer questions about the causes of crime and the application of justice
- link student community action experiences with classroom CJS training
- effectively communicate through oral and written methods.
Criminology and Justice Studies’ students find an active and supportive departmental culture that surrounds coursework in criminological theory, methods, inequalities of crime and justice, law, policy, and action. Faculty members teaching in this major come from multiple disciplines central to addressing current issues facing the US systems of justice and law.
Students pursuing careers in traditional criminal justice fields such as law enforcement, probation and prisons will have a solid foundation to work and effect social change in these fields.
国产偷拍视频Our program prepares students to be transformative leaders in a variety of locations, from probation and legal advocacy to community activism and policy research. Students should know the CJS program at HSU is NOT a law enforcement or correctional officer training program. Instead, you will find a liberal arts program emphasizing critical thinking, theoretical application, and research experience. Employers tell us that these are all desirable skills for a variety of criminal justice related careers.
国产偷拍视频In order to help students develop real world practice, internships are encouraged for the capstone experience.
国产偷拍视频CJS students may join the department-based Sociology and Criminology Student Association or other department student organizations such as Operation U-Turn. These provide additional opportunities for students to connect with each other, faculty, and local community organizations.
国产偷拍视频Because of the breadth, adaptability, and practical applications of a liberal arts degree in CJS, graduates choose to work in many different sectors: non-profit, private business, social services, education, health services, public relations, criminal justice, and government, as well as pursuing graduate studies.